Again to Itemizing
June 14, 2021
In fiscal yr 2020, analysis expenditures at Arizona’s public universities elevated year-over-year by $55.1 million or 3.8 p.c to $1.488 billion. Collectively, the colleges exceeded the board’s analysis expenditure metric aim by almost $95 million. The board accredited the Fiscal 12 months 2020 ABOR Analysis and Expertise Switch Exercise Report detailing the analysis enterprise outcomes.
The schools’ analysis missions are essential because the analysis created at Arizona’s public universities is a vital a part of Arizona’s financial future and the means by which new applied sciences are created and discoveries are made, thereby enhancing the lives of Arizonans. The sheer breadth and depth of college analysis has a considerable affect on regional economies from impacting the workforce with gifted graduates to constructing new applied sciences and companies by way of start-up firms and partnerships with native industries.
“Analysis at our universities contributes lifesaving expertise to society and is important to our state’s financial progress, mentioned Regent Fred DuVal, chair of the Arizona Board of Regents Analysis and Well being Sciences Committee. “All of our universities contributed immensely to offer important analysis through the pandemic in addition to serving as vaccine websites, providing academic sources to the neighborhood and aiding underserved communities. It’s a outstanding feat of data and exhausting work to see how rapidly the colleges’ analysis enterprise might support our state when it was wanted most through the pandemic.”
Analysis targeted on COVID-19 was instrumental to the state’s response to and administration of the pandemic, and the enterprise completed extra main milestones through the yr. Extra main milestones embody:
- Arizona State College’s expertise switch and commercialization actions garnered worldwide recognition, together with rating tenth for U.S. patents issued to U.S. universities.
- Northern Arizona College over the previous decade has grown its annual analysis expenditures by $35.7 million or 124 p.c.
- The College of Arizona skilled a considerable enhance in its analysis over the prior three years with analysis expenditures totaling $750.1 million in fiscal yr 2020.
All three of the colleges are internationally acknowledged for his or her analysis exercise. ASU and UArizona are among the many nation’s elite 131 universities labeled as “R1: Doctoral Universities – Very Excessive Analysis Exercise,” and NAU is among the many nation’s distinctive 135 universities designated “R2: Doctoral Universities – Excessive Analysis Exercise.”
Highlights from every college embody:
- ASU continues its decade-long development of being one of many quickest rising analysis enterprises within the nation. The college’s analysis exercise – as measured by analysis expenditures – totaled over $673.4 million in fiscal yr 2020, exceeding fiscal yr 2019’s expenditures by $33.8 million or 5.3 p.c. ASU missed this yr’s projected metric goal, however the establishment has surpassed annual metric targets for the previous 9 years and has cumulatively exceeded its objectives by $185 million over the previous decade.
- ASU’s complete analysis expenditures rating continues to enhance, rising from forty fourth in 2016 to forty third in 2019 amongst all U.S. universities and from twenty seventh in 2016 to twenty sixth in 2019 amongst public universities. ASU is now ranked sixth nationally in complete analysis expenditures for universities with no medical college.
- The college entered into 78 license and choice agreements in 2020, which was barely down from fiscal yr 2019, however exceeded its annual metric goal of 70 agreements. ASU’s invention disclosures, U.S. patents issued and startup firms shaped all elevated throughout fiscal yr 2020.
- NAU continues its regular progress in analysis. The college’s analysis expenditures totaled over $64.5 million in fiscal yr 2020, surpassing its fiscal yr 2019 expenditures by $5.6 million or 9.5 p.c. The college exceeded its fiscal yr 2020 annual metric goal by $25 million.
- The college’s complete analysis expenditure rating rose considerably, enhancing from 213th in 2016 to 191st in 2019 amongst all U.S. universities and 156th in 2016 to 139th in 2019 amongst U.S. public universities.
- In expertise switch, NAU once more exceeded its enterprise aim for invention disclosures, receiving 43 disclosures – 10 greater than their aim for the fiscal yr. New patent functions, U.S. patents obtained, and licenses and choices executed all remained regular, and NAU shaped its first startup since 2017.
- UArizona’s analysis expenditures totaled $750.1 million, surpassing its fiscal yr 2019 expenditures by $15.8 million or 2.2 p.c and exceeding its enterprise aim for the yr by $96.4 million. The college’s annual analysis expenditures have elevated by $163.5 million or 27.9 p.c over the previous decade.
- UArizona’s complete analysis expenditure rating continues to enhance, rising from thirty eighth in 2016 to thirty fourth in 2019 amongst all U.S. universities, and from twenty third in 2016 to nineteenth in 2019 amongst U.S. public universities.
- UArizona’s expertise switch and commercialization actions remained regular in fiscal yr 2020. The college entered into 95 license and choice agreements. That is in step with the variety of licenses and choices executed in fiscal yr 2019, however 9 agreements wanting its metric goal. Licensing and choices earnings, nevertheless, elevated from $5.9 million to $7.3 million year-over-year, extending its steady advance from $2 million in 2016. In fiscal yr 2020, UArizona was additionally issued 87 U.S. patents – a rise of 31 from 2019, and the college shaped 19 startups.
Sarah Harper, 602-229-2542, 602-402-1341 | Sarah.Ok.Harper@azregents.edu
Julie Newberg, 602-229-2534 | firstname.lastname@example.org